Tuesday, December 29, 2009

Sayonara 2009: January through June

January 

Henry and I began the year with a little getaway to Fredericksberg, Texas. We enjoyed walking around the town, and our B&B cottage was perfectly cozy. It was a good way to celebrate the first year and a half of our marriage.

Our niece April was born a week later on January 12th, and we've been smitten by her ever since. It's hard to believe she's almost a year old!
 

In January we also started babysitting our cousin Ethan on Thursday evenings while his mom was at school. We learned to play many games Ethan-style (Battleship, Uno, Connect Four, and various others), and I think we got him hooked on eating mini-pizzas. His endless questions and cute country accent made us laugh.
 

February

One of the field trips we took Ethan on was a trip to the Texas Capitol. I think he enjoyed dragging me through the halls.

Henry and I celebrated our fourth Valentine's Day together.

Kristen Duke graciously offered to take our first family photos. That was probably one of the best things we did this year.

March

With March comes Spring Break. Unfortunately, Henry and I had different Spring Break weeks, so we didn't go anywhere together, but I was able to make a trip to Houston to visit my parents. Mom and I went to Time Out for Women, a religious, inspirational weekend retreat, which was awesome.

Henry and I did get to go somewhere together; we went one weekend to the sunken Japanese gardens in San Antonio.
 

We also took advantage of a free South by Southwest concert for the first time:  Explosions in the Sky.
 

April

We went on our biggest roadtrip of the year in April. Henry's brother Ralph married Whitney in the Oklahoma City Temple, so we traveled to Tulsa and OKC for their Easter weekend wedding.

I was excited to get another sister-in-law in this family of mostly boys!
 

My best friend in high school, Courtney, also got married in April. My mom and I were able to go to the wedding in Houston.
 

May

May was a huge month for us because we both graduated!!! There were definitely moments when I wondered if it would happen for me, and it certainly wouldn't have if I had not finished my Master's report. This next picture is of me just moments before turning it in to the Graduate School. I was too tired to jump up and down or anything, but it was a big relief to close that chapter of my graduate career. I felt a lot of personal satisfaction. I'm glad Henry was able to be there for the big moment.

Here is Henry looking handsome in his graduation regalia. He earned his B.S. in Civil Engineering. I'm so proud of him.
  

My best friend Cristy also graduated from medical school in May! I'm glad I got to visit with her in Dallas/Fort Worth before she moved to West Virginia.
  

And here's a picture from my graduation! I earned an M.A. in Speech-Language Pathology, and I am SO GLAD TO BE DONE WITH SCHOOL! FOREVER!!! In case you couldn't tell, I don't miss school at all, but I do miss my grad school family. I love these people.
 

We celebrated our graduations at the Austin Children's Museum, which is the perfect place to have a fun party. The giant indoor slide was a hit.

June

In June we went back to Houston for a few more weddings.
 

My cousin Stephanie got married to a Mormon boy from Idaho! She had a picture perfect wedding complete with a horse and buggy rivaling Disney (she is kind of obsessed with all things Disney).

My good friend Amanda got married in July.
 

I got to read the passage in 1st Corinthians on charity during the ceremony. Thanks for asking me, Amanda!
 

Amanda's wedding was a good excuse to hang out with high school friends since her husband Joseph also went to high school with us.
 

Check back Thursday for the second installment!

No comments: